We are grateful for the generous support of these local organisations and businesses
We are Keeping the Spire on Northgate!
On Monday 4 July 2022 work started on Phase 1 of our project to restore our magnificent building to its former glory and purpose.
Our JustGiving campaign has been instrumental in providing the funds to support our efforts. We pray that it will continue to be supported by the local community, as well as people and organisations in surrounding areas.
We are now turning our attention and energy to our “Phase 2” plans for the downstairs areas of the Church building.
Keeping the spire in Northgate!
Your support for Northgate United Reformed Church restoration can help to keep our building part of this exciting future.
About Phase 2
We have decided to start a new project which will take the opportunity to replace the floor and change the shape and arrangement of the downstairs rooms to provide more flexible modern facilities.
Local community leaders have already expressed a lot of enthusiasm for being able to use our building for some of their activities.
Proposed New Layout
Create a larger main hall for use by community groups which can be divided, if necessary, into two rooms.
Create a larger kitchen suitable for cooking and serving meals.
Create a small meeting room accessible from the entrance without going into the main hall.
Improve the entrance to the hall from the outside to make it more welcoming.
***** Latest News *****
During the 18th Century Congregationalists and Presbyterians were already worshipping together as “Darlington Independents” in a yard just off Northgate. In 1806 a split took place, and the Congregationalists moved to a room in Union Street. This became Bethel Chapel
We are pleased to advise you that we are now able to hold live services at Elm Ridge Methodist Church Hall each Sunday morning at 10.45am. Our thanks go to the congregation of Elm Ridge for making this possible and
The three manual and pedal pipe organ in The United Reformed Church, Northgate, Darlington was built by the firm of J J Binns of Leeds in 1891 at a cost of £600.00. It was placed in a chamber at the