During the 18th Century Congregationalists and Presbyterians were already worshipping together as “Darlington Independents” in a yard just off Northgate.
In 1806 a split took place, and the Congregationalists moved to a room in Union Street. This became Bethel Chapel in 1812. This became inadequate and a new Gothic style church was built. It housed the congregation until 1975.
This building was demolished in 2021, after falling into dereliction.
The Presbyterian element met in the Mechanics Institute, in the town centre, until granted the status and privileges of a congregation.
Land in Northgate was purchased for £750.00, and in 1867 the foundation stone was laid for St George’s Church, built for £4,000.
It was this building, which became, in 1975 The Northgate United Reformed Church. Following the union of Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in 1972.
Northgate United Reformed Church is a Grade 2 listed building, constructed of locally quarried sandstone from nearby Houghton Bank. Of Gothic style, with a spire 36 metres tall, it is a local landmark.
A major church refurbishment project was carried out at Northgate URC, over 10 weeks in 2017.
We are friendly welcoming church of just under 100 members who worship in the reformed tradition.In normal circumstances our regular Sunday services take place at 10:45 a.m. and last for approximately an hour.
Children are able to go down to Junior Church part way through the service, where there are experienced leaders.
Younger children are able to make use of the crèche, which is a separate room within the sanctuary and has a sound relay of the service for parents.
The service is followed by a further time of fellowship, where refreshments are served, and the world is put to rights.